How To Make Tuna Melt Sandwich?
- 10 ounces tuna (two 5-ounce cans)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or pickle juice)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large tomato (thinly sliced, 8 slices)
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups, or about 8 thin slices of cheddar or American cheese)
- 8 slices bread
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
How To Prepare Tuna Melt Sandwich?
Gather the ingredients.
Drain the tuna and transfer it to a medium bowl.
Add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, red onion, celery, parsley, lemon juice, dill (if using), and pepper to the tuna, stirring until well blended.
Spread the tuna mixture onto a slice of bread. Top with 2 slices of tomato and about 1/4 cup of the cheese (or 1 to 2 slices).
Place another slice of bread on top of the cheese layer and carefully spread about 1 teaspoon of the butter over top. Repeat with the remaining bread, tuna, tomato slices, and cheese.
Heat a skillet over medium. Place 1 or 2 sandwiches in the pan, buttered side down. Butter the top piece of bread and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully turn the sandwich over and continue to cook for 4 or 5 minutes to brown the other side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
Slice the sandwiches and serve with potato chips or fries and dill pickle slices.
What’s the Best Bead for Tuna Melts?
The best bread for a tuna melt is the bread you normally use for sandwiches. White bread is classic, but rye bread, whole wheat, sourdough, or a rustic artisan-style bread are excellent options. If you’re making an open-face tuna melt, you might choose a thicker slice of bread or English muffins
Can You Reheat a Tuna Melt Sandwich?
While a tuna melt sandwich is best when it’s freshly made, leftovers may be reheated in a 350 F oven until the sandwich is warm and the cheese is melted.
What Is a Good Side To Serve With a Tuna Melt?
Potato chips or French fries are excellent choices. A tuna melt sandwich also pairs well with a tossed salad, coleslaw, tomato soup, or sweet potato fries.
- To save time, make the tuna salad mixture up to 1 day in advance.
- When buttering bread to be grilled, make sure to cover the entire surface of the bread.
Sheet Pan Tuna Melt Sandwiches
- Closed Tuna Melt Sandwiches: Preheat the oven to 450 F and lightly grease a sheet pan. Arrange the sandwiches on the sheet pan, butter side down. Butter the top of the sandwiches. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 4 to 5 minutes. Flip them over and bake for about 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Open-Face Tuna Melts: Heat the oven to 450 F and lightly grease a sheet pan. Butter 4 thick slices of bread and place them, butter-side down, on a sheet pan. Top the bread with a layer of cheese, a layer of tuna, 2 tomato slices, and another layer of cheese. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted.