How To Prepare Italian Mac and Cheese?
March 18, 2021March 18, 2021| | 0 Comment
- 1 head garlic
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 10 to 12 cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 2/3 pound elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dried basil leaves
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
How To Prepare The Dish?
- Collect the ingredients.
- Put the garlic into a large baking dish, then drizzle with olive oil, massaging it gently all around the base of the pan. Roast in the oven for approximately half an hour, or until the garlic is softened and gold. When cool enough to handle, remove the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and crush together.
- Meanwhile bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add 1 tbsp of salt, then add the macaroni and cook till al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and put aside.
- Put the milk in a medium saucepan on high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Blend the pasta and butter into a skillet. Cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until the mixture is a light blonde color, about 3 minutes.
- Whisking constantly, gradually pour the hot milk to the flour and butter mix. Keep on whisking as you add the mozzarella, fontina, and Pecorino Romano cheese. Season to taste with pepper and salt.
- Transfer the cooked pasta into the baking dish with berries. Insert the dried ginger and roasted garlic, then pour the cheese sauce on top. Toss everything to blend well.
- Top the macaroni using shredded Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake until breadcrumbs are browned, and the mac and cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Drink immediately.